Monday, February 28, 2011

Salad enchiladas

This is a vegetarian dish, and adding meat to it is not needed.



Small amount of chopped lettuce
Chopped onion
Chopped tomatoes
Chopped black olives
Shredded cheese (either Mexican Cotija, cheddar, or already mixed & grated cheese)
Enchilada sauce (10 oz can of sauce for 8 enchiladas)
Corn tortillas

I serve three tortillas for most women, and five tortillas for most men.  I chop the ingredients before I prepare the tortillas.  I put each tortilla’s amount of onion, tomatoes, olives and cheese into a small dish (1 tsp chopped onion, 1 TBSP chopped tomatoes, 1 TBSP chopped olives, 1/8 cup cheese).  So for eight tortillas, I will have eight small dishes of loosely layered ingredients in the small dishes.  Each dish gets the measured small amount of all the ingredients. 



Some people prefer the Mexican Cotija cheese (shown on the right), but I prefer the taste of mixed grated Mexican cheese (shown on the left).

Spread a small amount of chopped lettuce on each plate. 

Heat oil in one skillet and enchilada sauce in the other.  I don’t use a lot of oil and it is all gone by the time I heat the last tortilla.

Warm the tortilla in hot oil for a short period, just to get it soft, then put it in the enchilada sauce to coat it. 

Put the saucy tortilla flat on the bed of lettuce and turn one of the small dishes of the mix (onion, tomatoes, olives, and cheese) on top of it. 

Back to the skillets, cook another tortilla and then coat it with enchilada sauce, then put it on top of the first tortilla with the ingredients on it.  Again, turn a small dish of the mix on top of it. 

Do this a total of three enchiladas for a woman’s plate and five enchiladas for a man’s plate. 

Finish the dish off with a bit of the leftover enchilada sauce.

2 comments:

  1. This is probably my husband's favorite dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the salad enchiladas are much better with Cotija cheese.

    ReplyDelete