Saturday, January 29, 2011

Julia Child is my hero!

I learned to cook from Julia Child.  Yeah, I really did!  It was the early 60s and she had a half hour daytime TV show, The French Chef.  I watched that show every day if I was able ... hoping my little boys would nap during that time!

It was like being in a cooking classroom.  She taught me to cook Chicken Kiev.  I made a really good Baked Alaska.  She also taught me to fix a Salad Nicoise.  I watched her make a yummy looking Chocolate Mousse and many years later I perfected her recipe to my family's taste.  It is the most wonderful tasting chocolate "glue."  It certainly isn't what I used to see as chocolate mousse.  I never cared for most that I ate because it tasted like chocolate whip and whipped cream is just not my favorite food.



Chocolate Mousse

3 qt porcelain or stainless steel mixing bowl
Wire whip or electric beater
4 egg yolks
¾ cup instant sugar (very finely granulated)
¼ cup orange liqueur
Pan of not quite simmering water
Basin of cold water

Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until mixture is a thick, pale yellow, and falls back upon itself forming a slowly dissolving ribbon.  Beat in the orange liqueur.  Then set mixing bowl over the not quite simmering water and continue beating for 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture is foamy and too hot for your finger.  Then beat over cold water for 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture is cold and again forms the ribbon.  It will have the consistency of mayonnaise.
___________________________________

6 ounces or squares semi-sweet baking chocolate
4 Tb strong coffee
Small saucepan
6 ounces or 1 ½ sticks softened unsalted butter
Optional:  ¼ cup finely diced glazed orange peal

Melt chocolate with coffee over hot water.  Remove from heat and beat in the butter a bit at a time, to make a smooth cream.  Beat the chocolate into the egg yolks and sugar, then beat in the optional orange peel.
___________________________________

4 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1 Tb granulated sugar

Beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks are formed; sprinkle on the sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.  Stir one fourth of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.  Fold in the rest.
___________________________________

Turn into serving dish, dessert cups.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
___________________________________

2 cups vanilla-flavored crème anglaise or lightly whipped cream sweetened with powdered sugar.

Pass the sauce or whipped cream separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment